Listening to Terry Ryan on ESPN 1500 revealed a little bit about the organization's process over the last few days, and also gave some insight on the departure of Ben Revere. Here are a few things to note as the Winter Meetings wind down.
- Terry Ryan did confirm that the center field job would be up for competition between Darin Mastroianni (of course), Joe Benson (it's been easy to forget about his potential after the season he just had), and Aaron Hicks (which seems unlikely early in the season but perhaps later it could be possible). We all know of Benson's incredible athletic ability. Perhaps the departures of Denard Span and Ben Revere will give him the opportunity he needs?
- In spite of today's activity, the Twins certainly aren't done. At least, not according to Assistant GM Rob Antony. I imagine that nothing more will come from the Winter Meetings, but I can certainly see the Twins making a move or three in the next couple of days
- The Twins signed pitcher/first baseman/outfielder Jason Lane. In 2012 he pitched for the Triple-A affiliates for Toronto and Arizona, posting a 3.89 ERA and 3.96 strikeout-to-walk ratio. He also owns a minor league career triple slash of .280/.362/.488 in 12 seasons. If you can stretch your memories back to '05, he smashed 26 home runs for the Astros. None of this means he'll do anything for the Twins, but it's good depth for Rochester.
- Jack Hannahan hasn't chosen a destination yet, but as of right now it sounds like the Twins are still in play.
- Consider this: the 2014 and 2015 rotations will include young but talented and inexpensive arms like Kyle Gibson, Alex Meyer, Vance Worley, and Trevor May. Throw Alex Wimmers, Liam Hendriks, Scott Diamons and O.J. Berrios into that mix and suddenly the Twins have a lot of talented pitching in their system.
- Ideas for new Twinkie Town t-shirts: something regarding "Vance In Your Pants" and "Vanimal". We'll see where we can take it.