"I started rushing like I always do," Liriano explained to reporters about his third inning 'Hyde' moment.
Francisco Liriano got off to an excellent start today for the Twins, striking out three batters while pitching two perfect innings. Per Phil Mackey, Liriano's fastballs were around 91 mph, reaching as high as 93 to 94 mph. Twins fans everywhere rejoiced.
At least until the third inning began, and the other Liriano came to the mound. Frankie promptly gave up a single, hit a batter, and eventually gave up two more doubles before ending the inning with the Twins four runs in the hole.
The Twins managed to score two runs in the bottom of the fourth, which was fun. Alex Burnett, however, struggled in the sixth, giving up another four runs to the Jays. At that point everyone pretty much stopped paying attention to the game, including Danny Gladden, who spent most of the rest of the radio broadcast talking about a ball-boy he once threw a dirty rag at, reminding fans to get a "beverage" during commercial breaks, and explaining to Cory Provus that a thing he likes to do when he has overnight guests is place a cup of water on top of the bathroom door to drench them in the middle of the night.
Studs and duds after the jump.Studs:
- Francisco Liriano #1 - 3 strikeouts, 0 hits, and 0 walks in 2 innings pitched.
- Matt Maloney - 3 strikeouts, 0 hits, and 0 walks in 1.1 innings pitched.
- Jared Burton - 2 strikeouts, 0 hits, and 0 walks in 1 inning pitched.
- Fransisco Liriano #2 - 4 hits, 1 hit batter, and 4 earned runs in 1 inning pitched.
- Alex Burnett - 5 hits and 4 earned runs in 0.2 innings pitched.
- Joe Mauer - 2 for 3, with one run--BUT NO HOMERUNS!!!