The Twins once again inexplicably trounced the Phillies this spring. Justin Morneau got things off to a great start with a no-doubt two-run home run in the bottom of the first--his third in the past five games--and ultimately went three for four with three RBIs. If that doesn't make you feel all tingly inside I don't know what will.
Luke Hughes also hit his team-leading fifth home run of this spring training. Alexi Casilla and Jamey Carroll turned an excellent double play in the bottom of the second inning, their first together of the spring.
More notes, studs, and duds after the jump.
So the Twins clobbered the Phillies yadda yadda--but meanwhile, over at the minor league game, Trevor Plouffe (coming back from a sore hamstring) went FOUR FOR FOUR, with THREE HOME RUNS. After the second home run, Ron Gardenhire lamented, "Jesus, Plouffe, I still haven't seen if you can run. Keep one in the park."
Liriano was pretty much his usual self(s) today, going two scoreless innings before giving up a run and then filling the bases with one out in the third. Somehow, however, Liriano managed to pitch out of this jam. Kudos.
- Justin Morneau: 3 for 4, 2-run HR, 3 RBI, 2 R, and being overall awesome.
- Joe Mauer: 3 for 4, 1 RBI, and 2 R (when Morneau hits a home run it doesn't matter how lazily Joe gets on base).
- Brian Duensing: 2 IP, 1 hit, 1 K, 0 ER.
- Luke Hughes: 2 for 4, 3-run HR, 3 RBI, 2 R.
- The Philadelphia Phillies, lol