Denard Span arguing a called strike by umpire Greg Gibson just before being ejected for the third time in his career. (Mandatory Credit: Anthony Gruppuso-US PRESSWIRE)
Francisco Liriano started the game for the Twins, allowing just 11 of the 18 batters he faced to reach base over his 2.1 innings pitched. Denard Span was ejected for arguing a called strike in the bottom of the third, quickly followed by Ron Gardenhire being ejected for arguing the same called strike. Newest Twin Clete Thomas finished Span's at-bat with a promising RBI double, but then the Yankees scored 4 more runs, followed by another run the next inning, and another run in the inning after that... and well, you get the picture.
At least new fan favorite--and reigning AL Player of the Week--Josh Willingham hit his fifth homerun of the season (!), giving the Twins the lead and us fans a glimmer of hope, if even just for a moment.
Take a moment to soak in the Josh Willingham. Ahh...
- Scott Baker underwent surgery on his elbow today in New York City, and--surprise!--he woke up and found out he had Tommy John's surgery! Baker signed a release pre-surgery allowing the doctor's to perform Tommy John's if they discovered it was needed... and it was needed.
- Justin Morneau did not play today, but it has nothing to do with concussion related issues. He's not very good against Yankees Starter C.C. Sabathia so he got the day off.
- Josh Willingham: If you don't know by now, you don't know.
- Clete Thomas: Pinch Hitting mid at-bat for ejected Span, hit an RBI double to briefly regain the Twins lead.
- Alex Burnett: 1 IP, 0 hits, 0 runs, 0 walks.
- Francisco Liriano: 2 and 1/3 IP, 7 hits, 5 earned runs, 4 walks, 4 clumps of hair tared from my head