So long, mate.
All things considered, a 3-4 record on a road trip to the two AL East favorites isn't really a bad effort. Here's a recap of the week just past, and a look ahead at the week to come:
- The Twins designated infielder Luke Hughes for assignment, and he was eventually picked up by the Athletics, ending his tenure in Minnesota. This leaves the Twins short of Australians, with only Liam Hendriks on the roster.
- Jason Marquis made his first start of the year, beating the Yankees as the Twins earned a split in a four-game series in New York for pretty much the first time ever.
- Josh Willingham set a Twins record for the longest hitting streak to begin a career with the team, hitting a bases-clearing double to give the Twins a win in Tampa Bay.
This Week's Schedule
The Twins are back in town for a six-game homestand, with three games against the Boston Shrine Circus and three against the wobbly Royals. The Red Sox have been baseball's greatest (and funniest) disaster so far in 2012, as the Fried Chicken Carnival has rolled on into 2012 as the same squabbling mess it was at the end of 2011. Bobby Valentine may not last until May. Boston is last in the AL East and is finding new and inventive ways to lose baseball games.
Frankly, they almost make the Royals - who have lost ten straight games and own baseball's worst record - look good. Going by the standings, it's the American League's three worst teams at Target Field this week. Get your tickets now!
Monday: vs. Boston, 7:10pm. TV: FSN. Probables: Jason Marquis vs. Jon Lester
Tuesday: vs. Boston, 7:10pm. TV: FSN and the MLB Network. Probables: Nick Blackburn vs. Josh Beckett
Wednesday: vs. Boston, 7:10pm. TV: FSN. Probables: Liam Hendricks vs. Clay Buchholz
- Thursday: OFF DAY OFF DAY OFF DAY
Friday: vs. Kansas City, 7:10pm. TV: FSN. Probables: Carl Pavano vs. Danny Duffy
Saturday: vs. Kansas City, 12:10pm. TV: FOX Saturday Blackout Baseball. Probables: Francisco Liriano vs. Bruce Chen
- Sunday: vs. Kansas City, 1:10pm. TV: FSN. Probables: Jason Marquis vs. Jonathan Sanchez