Schedule (all games on FSN)
Friday: 7:10pm, Cole De Vries vs. Will Smith
Saturday: 6:10pm, Liam Hendriks vs Luke Hochevar
- Sunday: 1:10pm, Scott Diamond vs. Luis Mendoza
- Kansas City is fresh off throwing a wrench into the works of the Tigers, sweeping Detroit to put the Tigers three games back of Chicago in the AL Central race. The Royals won three one-run games in the three-game series - 1-0, 2-1, and 9-8.
- Royals Review studied up on the data, and discovered that Saturday starter Luke Hochevar is better if he pitches off the first-base side of the rubber - and throws a little more three-quarters. That's good data mining right there.
- It's been a difficult week for manager Ned Yost and anemic infielder Johnny Giovatella, both of whom have New Orleans roots and were worried by Hurricane Isaac.
- Well, Denard Span is going on the disabled list, eighteen days after getting hurt. I made these jokes already, but now it seems very possible that he'll miss the rest of the year, and may well not be ready for spring training. I'll believe anything when it comes to the Twins medical staff. I hope Denard Span is still alive by Opening Day 2013.
- On the bright side - at least for Matt Carson - Matt Carson gets to come back to the big leagues. Carson wouldn't have been eligible to be called up without Span going on the DL, since Carson was just sent down less than ten days ago, but he's back in Minneapolis.
- Rosters expand on Saturday, and Rochester's season is over Monday, so by Tuesday you should see a few AAA players filtering up to the majors. (Well, a few more than usual. BURN!)