Happy Kent Hrbek Day Twins fans! Here are some links to enjoy:
- Yes, it's true--today is Kent Hrbek's 53rd birthday. Please enjoy this clip of Hrbek being introduced in Atlanta in Game 3 of the 1991 World Series after the notorious Ron Gant incident (we love it, Kent).
- Anyone watching the game last night knows that Danny Gladden hung a Kent Hrbek jersey out the window of the radio broadcast booth at Turner Field, prompting Atlanta TV broadcaster Chip Caray to remark: "Kent Hrbek spelled backwards is cheater."
- Did you know Twins great Tony Oliva hit the first home run by a DH in MLB? Bob Sansevere recently interviewed Tony about his thoughts and experiences as one of the first DHs in MLB.
- Speaking of interviews, Mike Berardino sat down with rookie Oswaldo Arcia for his first in-depth interview as a major leaguer.
- The good news is that David Ortiz doesn't personally hate the Twins anymore. The bad news is that he is still a Twins killer. Tom Powers asked Ortiz about his transition to the Red Sox some ten years ago, and of course throws in the story about Corey Koskie putting peanut butter in his underwear because of course.
- There's a bat turning heads in Class A Cedar Rapids, and it's not who you might think.
- But John Sickles over at Minor League Ball did recently go to see Byron Buxton in-person and wrote a nice piece about his observations.
- People are still saying Joe Mauer is really good. What is notable about this recent Yahoo! column though are the comments on it afterwards. Oh my gosh, the comments.
- People are also still saying the Twins should trade Joe Mauer.