That one-hour span on Thursday night when both closers blew saves and Mauer was put on the disabled list? That hour SUCKED.
Pull yourself up off the ground, dust yourself off, and get back in the box for tonight's game thread:
|2011 - Nick Blackburn||1-1||2||2||0||0||0||0||11.2||12||3||1||1||4||4||0.77||1.37|
Blackburn has been the Twins most effective starter so far this year, just like everyone predicted. It would be nice if that continued this evening.
|2011 - Wade Davis||0-2||2||2||0||0||0||0||12.1||13||6||6||0||4||7||4.38||1.38|
Davis' second cousin is former Braves and Cubs catcher Jody Davis. If Sweet Drew or STEVE HOLM! gets hurt, he may get a call.
Lineups, courtesy LEN3:
1. Denard Span, CF
2. Matt Tolbert, SS
3. Jason Kubel, RF
4. Justin Morneau, 1B
5. Delmon Young, LF
6. Jim Thome, DH
7. Michael Cuddyer, 2B
8. Danny Valencia, 3B
9. Drew Butera, C
1. Sam Fuld, LF
2. Johnny Damon, DH
3. Matt Joyce, RF
4. Felipe Lopez,3B
5. B.J.Upton, CF
6. Sean Rodriguez, 2B
7. Dan Johnson, 1B
8. Kelly Shoppach, C
9. Reid Brignac, SS
- Do you all know what bilateral leg weakness is now?
Per ESPN1500's Phil Mackey, Mauer was hospitalized last night with the flu, and will be seeing a specialist in Baltimore (the same one who treated his sacrociliac joint in 2009) as soon as he gets over it. Dept. of It Just Keeps Getting Better and Better: in that same article, Gardy didn't disabuse anyone of the notion that Mauer may be out of the lineup longer than 15 days.
- HEALTH UPDATE: it was a viral infection. The general tone of relief from Gardy and Bill Smith hopefully indicates that this will just be a 15-day thing.
- Danny Lehmann will be taking STEVE HOLM!'s place in Rochester, says Mr. Reusse.
- Went to my first Twins game of 2011 on Wednesday (thanks again, @RandBall). With the exception of the 4th inning and the aesthetic black hole of the denuded batter's eye, everything was wonderful. Go see it!
- Note to Sanford Medical Products: people in section 323 can still see your Target Center signage despite the new scoreboard, so don't fret.
Enjoy the game everybody. Unless a rogue elephant tramples Justin Morneau, pretty much anything will be an improvement over last night.