Going into tonight's game, the Twins had lost 21 of their past 24 games against the Yankees. After tonight's game, the Twins have only lost 3 of their last 5 against the Yankees. Progress!
Tonight, the Twins scored seven earned runs off Yankee starting pitcher A.J. Burnett, who hence lasted all of 1 and 2/3 innings. Former Twin Luis Ayala pitched a pretty successful inning for the Yankees, before newly acquired Yankee Aaron Laffey came in and gave up another 2 earned runs to the Twins. Thanks Aaron!
Francisco Liriano was a stud starter for the Twins. As for relief, Alex Burnett gave up 2 runs in the 8th inning, and Matt Capps gave up another run in the 9th--but for once, the Twins had scored enough runs to sustain the 2011 bullpen.
Without further ado:
- Francisco Liriano: 7 innings, 6 strikeouts, 3 hits, 0 earned runs--against the Yankees.
- Joe Mauer: 2 for 4 with two runs and one walk.
- Trevor Plouffe: Also 2 for 4 with two runs and one walk.
- Danny Valencia: 1 for 3, with two runs, two walks, and one RBI.
(Sorry--but we don't get to make lists like this very often)
- Justin Morneau: 2 for 0--but two RBI!
- Jason Kubel: 3 for 5, two RBIs, one run.
- Ben Revere: 2 for 5, two RBIs, and one run.
- Luke Hughes: 2 for 3, one RBI, one walk, and one run (and one error).
- The Yankees
- Internet trolls.
With a win tomorrow, the Twins can split the series.
GO TWINS GO!