No, it's not real life--it's just spring training.
Even though spring training games shouldn't be taken too seriously, Danny Valencia was a sight for sore eyes to Twins fans today. Valencia's double in the 5th inning was the first extra-base hit for the Twins since last Sunday, and his three-run homerun in the 6th was the biggest hit a Twin has had so far this year. Think about it--in one swing, Valencia drove in as many runs as all of the Twins had drove in in the last 37 innings combined.
Besides Valencia's blast, the game was rather uneventful. Justin Morneau got a hit. So did Josh Willingham, Alexi Casilla, and Rene Rivera. Twins' Rule 5 Draft Pick Terry Doyle, who started the game, didn't look so swell, giving up seven hits and two earned runs before being pulled with two outs in the 3rd inning. A large bird of prey ate a small mammal on the foul pole. Spring training baseball y'all.
Studs and duds after the jump.
- Danny Valencia (duh): 2 for 3, a double and 3 run HR. Also--swag.
- P.J. Walters (I think that's what he's called): Pitched a perfect 9th inning for a "save" (spring training, lol).
- Terry Doyle: 7 hits in 2.2 IP, 2 ERs, 0 Ks. (Per TwinsBaseball.com, Doyle explained, "I think the problem today is that I felt too good." Okay Terry.)
- Trevor Plouffe: 0 for 4, with 1 SO.
- Joe Mauer: He didn't even play today! So lazy.