Probables (all games FSN)
- Tuesday, 6:08pm: Mike Pelfrey vs. Rick Porcello
- Wednesday, 6:08pm: Kevin Correia vs. Anibal Sanchez
- Thursday, 12:08pm: Andrew Albers vs. Justin Verlander
Great. Detroit starts three guys that would be the ace of the Twins' staff. And that's not even counting the 18-1 Max Scherzer.
- What do you want? The Tigers are the best team in the American League, have the league's best hitter in Miguel Cabrera, and two of the best ten pitchers in the AL this year, neither one of which is Justin Verlander They've won 21 of 28. If forfeits were allowed, the Twins should consider a couple.
- Cabrera hit his 40th HR of the year Sunday, making him the second-fastest Tiger to get to 40. He also tied Joe DiMaggio on the all-time list with 361 career homers.
- Catcher Alex Avila is on the brain injury disabled list, and though he's eligible to come off, he doesn't sound too near to being cleared.
- A potential weakness: Detroit has only thrown out 19% of potential basestealers this year, worst in the AL. So, you know, if the Twins had anybody who could run, they could try that.
- Clete Thomas has a .571 OPS since July 1.
- Pedro Florimon is batting .186 since June 1.
- Trevor Plouffe has a .531 OPS since July 1.
- Chris Parmelee is batting .233 at Rochester.
- At the same level, Aaron Hicks is hitting .209.
- Should I stop yet?
- One more: Since May 1, Correia has a 5.43 ERA.
- Injury news: Samuel Deduno may miss a start, which is Twins Official Medical Code for "we'll see him next July, maybe, if we're lucky."