Justin Morneau was the star tonight for the Twins, going 4-for-5 and driving in 4 runs against the AL central leading Tigers. Morneau hit his 7th home run of the month in the top of the 4th inning to give the Twins the first lead--and they never lost it.
The bad news from this game, however, is that Twins stud Joe Mauer has landed on the 7-day DL with a concussion. He was originally slotted to play first base, but got dizzy during batting practice and was scratched from the line-up. Mauer took about 6 foul-tips off his mask during Monday's game against the Mets.
Twins Starting Pitcher Mike Pelfrey also had a strong night, giving the Twins his second quality start of the season. Pelfrey gave up 3 earned runs over 6.2 innings--which in the Twins world of starting pitching, is pretty amazing.
The other highlight: Pedro "P-Flo" Florimon hit a solo dinger in the 6th inning.
It was a surprisingly nice game--wasn't it?
- Justin Morneau: 4-for-5, 1 HR, 2-run double, 4 RBI, only a triple short of the cycle.
- P-Flo: 1-for-3, 1 HR, 1 walk, 2 runs.
- Glen Perkins: 1 hit, 1 walk--but good for the save (striking out MIGUEL CABRERA!)
- Clete Thomas: 0-for-4--EXCEPT, he made a real great defensive play.
- Joe Mauer has been placed on the 7-day DL. Chris Colabello has been recalled to take Joe's place.
- Oswaldo Arcia was scratched from the game with a sore wrist; he is day-to-day, and could possibly end up on the DL.
- Samuel Deduno has a sore shoulder and is questionable for his scheduled start Friday.
|2||less cowbell, more 'neau||67|