The Minnesota Twins have assembled their minor league coaching staff for 2016. While most of the news is on the winter meetings and the moves the Twins front office are trying to make, there have also been some moves in the coaching ranks for 2016 within the Twins minor league system. Let's check out the minor league staff for 2016, the promotions, and the new faces.
- Rochester Red Wings - The Red Wings will again in 2016 be led by manager Mike Quade who returns for a second season to lead Rochester. Quade will be joined by hitting coach Chad Allen and pitching coach Stu Cliburn to give Mike a new staff for 2016. Cliburn will be making his second stint as a pitching coach for the Red Wings after his first run in 2006-2008. This will be Allen's first season as a hitting coach and this group will be an interesting one to watch with the Twins having a decent amount of talent that is close to the major league level.
- Chattanooga Lookouts - Doug Mientkiewicz will return in 2016 to lead the Lookouts as they defend their Southern League championship. Mientkiewicz will be joined by hitting coach Tommy Watkins, who was promoted from Cedar Rapids, and by pitching coach Ivan Arteaga. This looks to be a solid staff working and I strongly believe this group with Mientkiewicz will be a huge plus to a number of players and their development in 2016.
- Fort Myers Miracle - Jeff Smith will return in 2016 to manage the Miracle for his second straight season. Smith will be joined by hitting coach Jim Dwyer who is returning for his 11th season. They will be joined by Henry Bonilla who joins the Miracle staff in 2016 as the pitching coach. Bonilla is entering his fourth season as a pitching coach in the Twins organization, coaching for Cedar Rapids in 2015, Elizabethton in 2014, and the GCL in 2013.
- Cedar Rapids Kernels - The Kernels will once again have Jake Mauer back to manage Cedar Rapids in 2016. Mauer begins his fourth season with the Kernels and has all the tools to continue to generate quality prospects from the Kernels roster. Mauer will be joined in Cedar Rapids by pitching coach J.P. Martinez, who moved up from the GCL and former Twin Brian Dinkelman, who will be the hitting coach for the Kernels after also being promoted from the GCL.
- Elizabethton Twins - The E-Twins will again be led by manager Ray Smith, who begins his 11th year as a minor league manager in the Minnesota Twins organization. Joining Smith will be hitting coach Jeff Reed, who returns for his 15th season. These two veteran coaches will also welcome Luis Ramirez as the pitching coach.
- Gulf Coast League - Ramon Borrego will begin his sixth season as manager for the GCL Twins and will also run the extended Spring Training in Fort Myers in 2016.
This is a very good group of coaches and it will be interesting to watch in 2016 to see what these guys can do with the current prospects in the Twins organization as well as any other pieces to may be added due to trades. Give us your comments below on how you feel about the Twins minor league coaching staffs for 2016.