Kyle Gibson had a strong start for the Twins Tuesday night in Motown, pitching seven innings with only one earned run. Alas, the Twins let this one get away in the tenth inning, when Ian Kinsler hit a walk-off single to win it for the Tigers. At least the Twins looked like a legitimate major league baseball team, unlike the season's opening series in Detroit.
The Twins looked good early on. Tigers starter Alfredo Simon gave up a lead-off walk to Trevor Plouffe and a subsequent double to Kurt Suzuki, leaving them at third and second base respectfully. Unfortunately, the Twins decided to come back to reality as Simon proceeded to strikeout Kennys Vargas, Eduardo Escobar, and Aaron Hicks to end the inning. Vargas partially redeemed himself by leading off the 5th inning with a double, but again, Eduardo Escobar, Aaron Hicks, and Danny Santana wasted the opportunity.
The Tigers scored the first run of the game in the bottom of the 4th inning off a solo home run by J.D. Martinez. The Tigers remained ahead 1-0 until the top of the 8th inning when Danny Santana scored off a sacrifice fly from Torii Hunter. Although the Twins were able to hold off the Tigers for a couple more innings, they eventually succumbed in the bottom of the 10th inning, when Ryan Pressly gave up a double to Anthony Gose and the winning RBI single to Ian Kinsler.
Poop in a bucket.
- Aaron Hicks went 1-for-4 in his 2015 major league debut. He was caught stealing that one time he got on base, but it's the thought that counts? Or something like that?
- Hicks did look good defensively, particularly in the bottom of the 3rd when he tracked down a long fly ball hit by Miguel Cabrera. Of course, I'm used to watching what the Twins outfield defense has been so I might be somewhat easy to impress in that area.
- Torii Hunter's batting average has climbed to .280, only 6 points below Mauer.
- Joe Mauer has still not hit any home runs.
|8||less cowbell, more 'neau||1|
GAMETHREAD COMMENT OF THE GAME
kenzertz: "You could trade money to get them." (in reference to tacos, not anything baseball related.)
- Kyle Gibson: 7 innings pitched, 5 H, 6 K, 1 ER, 0 BB.
- Blaine Boyer: 2 innings pitched, 2 H, 0 ER, 1 BB.
- Torii Hunter: 1-for-3, 1 RBI, 1 SO.
- Kennys Vargas: 2-for-4, 1 double.
- Ryan Pressly: 0.1 inning pitched, 2 H, 1 ER (the game winner).
- Eduardo Escobar: 0-for-4, 0 BB, 2 SO.