The Twins sat through two rain delays and were really close to winning this game, but, alas, they didn't win it. Rain delays, uh, delayed the game in the bottom of the 1st inning and in the 7th inning, and effectively broke any momentum the Twins had going for them both times.
The Twins jumped out to an early lead in the top of the 1st inning thanks to a RBI double by Trevor Plouffe that drove in Brian Dozier. The game was then paused, but resumed after 45 minutes with the Twins escaping the inning with the lead intact.
Unfortunately, the 2nd inning didn't go as well, with Randal Grichuk hitting a sac fly to drive in Yadier Molina to tie up the game. The Cardinals took the lead the next inning on a 2-RBI single by Mark Reynolds (and no I'm not making this up).
The top of the 7th rolled around and Trevor Plouffe got things started with a walk. Edurado Nunez then hit a in to a force-out, but reached first on a fielder's choice, and stole second (and yes his helmet fell off). With Nunez on second and Kurt Suzuki at the plate, the Twins momentum was building into a
Eventually into a double by Suzuki that scored Nunez. Unfortunately, Eddie Rosario and Kennys Vargas then both ground out to end the inning. The Twins came close again in the bottom of the 9th inning when Nunez hit a one-out double and Eddie Rosario walked, but the Cardinals were able to shut the Twins down for the win.
- Byron Buxton singled in the top of the 8th inning for his second major league hit. *cough*andthenhewascaughtstealing*cough*
- Something is wrong with Joe Mauer and we should be concerned for him as we were with Justin Morneau.
You TOP 5 commenters:
COMMENT OF THE GAMETHREAD
NoahRJ: I expect Jesse to show up to this thread and have a Peter Bourjosgasm.
- Kyle Gibson: 6.0 IP, 6 H, 3 ERs; also went 1-for-2 at the plate.
- Aaron Thompson: 1 IP, 0 ER, 0 BB.
- Joe Mauer: 0-for-4, 0 BB, 2 SO; this is physically hurting me and I want to help Joe. :(