After Kyle Gibson pitched the best game of his career on Thursday, the Twins are now one game clear of their wild card competition. Go ahead, look for yourself.
This means, of course, that regardless of what happens in tonight's game, the Minnesota baseball Twins will at worst be tied for a wild card spot on July 4th, 2015, not only one area nation's birthday but also roughly the halfway point of the season. THINK ABOUT THAT SHIT.
In a season where the two best American League teams are perennial laughingstocks Kansas City and Houston, the Twins also being relevant shouldn't be surprising. But:
- July 4, 2014: 38-47, 11 GB
- July 4, 2013: 36-46, 9 GB
- July 4, 2012: 35-46, 9 GB
- July 4, 2011: 37-46, 8 GB
- July 4, 2010: 44-38, tied for division lead with Detroit
Why not us. Why not now.