The Twins season ended a month ago, but their off-season hasn’t really started. With the new head front office dude, Derek Falvey, being wrapped up with the Indians’ deep post-season run, the team has had to wait to get things started (or at least, publicly get things started).
Now that the World Series is over (and wow, what a series), the real off-season can begin. The Twins will likely have many non-scheduled front office announcements coming in the next two weeks—but there are many scheduled important dates for the Twins off-season, too.
Without further ado—the Twins’ 2016-2017 important off-season dates.
- Eligible players become Free Agents at 8:00 am CT.
- Last day to request waivers on draft-excluded players until next spring.
- Last day to reinstate players from the 60-day DL. (All Twins’ players have already been activated off the 60-day DL.)
- Last day to outright potential Minor League free agent without Major League contract, if permissible.
- Last day for former club to tender qualifying offer to XX(B) players
- Minor League players become Free Agents at 4:00 pm CT, if applicable
- Eligible players and Minor League Free Agents may sign with any club
- MLB General Managers Meetings begin in Scotsdale, AZ.Derek Falvey will represent the Twins.
- MLB General Managers Meetings conclude.
- Outright Waivers secured on or after September 1 expire at 4:00 pm CT
- New waiver period begins
- Last day for eligible players to accept qualifying offer from former club
- Last date to ask Outright Waivers on an injured player, if permissible
- Last date to outright an injured player to the Minor Leagues, if permissible.
- Reserve lists for Major and Minor League levels filled by 7:00 pm CT.
- Last date to request Outright Waivers to assign player prior to Rule 5 Draft, unless player has a 2017 Major League contract.
- Last day for club to offer 2017 contracts to unsigned players on their 40-man rosters.
- Winter meetings begin in Washington, DC.
- Winter meetings conclude in Washington, DC.
- Twins pitchers and catchers report to Fort Myers, FL.
- Twins pitchers and catchers hold first workout.
- Twins position players report.
- Twins hold first full-team workout (a.k.a. Tom Kelly kicks everyone’s ass).
- Twins play first Spring Training exhibition game against Tampa Bay.
- Twins play last Spring Training exhibition game against the Rochester Red Wings.