The MLB trade deadline is next Monday, and so far the Twins haven’t done anything. Terry Ryan told reporters last month that there was “no chance” the Twins would remain inactive, but now Ryan is gone, and here we are wallowing in that inactivity.
Hopefully, it’s only that the Twins haven’t been active yet. Rob Antony has said he’d be disappointed if he was unable to make any deals, and Buster Olney reported last week that trade interest in Twins players actually grew after Ryan was fired. There are some rumors and tidbits floating around out there.
Here’s the run-down:
- Although initially there seemed to be interest, Ken Rosenthal is now reporting that Ervin Santana actually isn’t drawing much attention from other clubs. The reason? The $27 million he is still owed over 2017 and 2018. There’s also the fact that interim GM Rob Antony has said publicly he’s not trying to trade Santana and the price would have to be high for him to do so. He explained his stance to reporters in the clip below.
- Rob Antony has said elsewhere he’s mostly looking to acquire pitching help, although the Twins are apparently at least listening to offers for Kyle Gibson.
- LEN3 believes Fernando Abad is the Twin most likely to be dealt. The Dodgers scouted him on Wednesday.
- Buster Olney is reporting that the Indians are currently evaluating Eduardo Nunez. Presumably, Nunez would take over at third for the Indians.
MIN's Eduardo Nunez is among the current market options that have been evaluated by the Indians. https://t.co/aBsaf7jcBZ Versatile, RHed.— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) July 26, 2016
- The Giants are also interested in Nunez, per Arby’s enthusiast Jon Heyman.
- Ken Rosenthal reported that teams were showing interest in Kurt Suzuki, but LEN3 hasn’t heard of any teams scouting the catcher.
- The Marlins have expressed some interest in Twins pitching, and apparently sent scouts to Fenway last weekend to watch Tommy Milone. The Twins also had scouts watching the Marlins play the Phillies earlier this week.
- Per LEN3, the Orioles and Pirates had scouts watching the Twins last week.
What do you want to see the Twins do?