Though the Twins’ offseason sort of started after they lost the Wild Card game to the Yankees on October 3rd, the MLB off-season didn’t really, officially start until today. The end of the World Series puts a lot of dates and deadlines in motion.
Here are some of those important dates for Twins fans to keep in mind.
November 2nd, 2017:
- Quiet Period of Free Agency begins — Eligible players become free agents, but may only negotiation with their previous team for the first five days. This is when qualifying offers are made.
November 6th, 2017:
- Final day to make qualifying offers — Qualifying offers must be at least $17.4 million this year to free agents who qualify. If the qualifying free agent declines the offer and signs with another team, the Twins get an extra draft pick.
November 7th, 2017:
- Full Free Agency begins — Free agents can negotiate with any team.
- Gold Glove winners announced on ESPN — The Twins have two Gold Glove nominees this year: Byron Buxton and Brian Dozier.
November 9th, 2017:
- Silver Slugger winners announced on MLBN
- GM Meetings begin in Orlando, FL and run until November 16th — This is when all GMs meet to discuss the general state of the game and get to know other GMs.
- Rookie of the Year winners announced
November 14th, 2017:
- Manager of the Year winners announced
November 15th, 2017:
- Cy Young winners announced
November 16th, 2017:
- MVP winners announced
November 20th, 2017:
- Last date to finalize 40-man roster before Rule 5 drft
December 1st, 2017:
- Deadline to tender contract offers to players on the roster who are not under contract for the 2018
December 10th, 2017:
- Winter Meetings begin in Orlando, FL and run until December 14th — Executives, agents, media, job-seekers, and exhibitors meet to discuss baseball and potential trade deals.
December 14th, 2017:
- Rule 5 Draft takes place at 8:00 am CT
January 12, 2018:
- Deadline for clubs and players to exchange arbitration figures
January 19th, 2018:
- TwinsFest begins at Target Field and runs through the January 21st
February 1st, 2018:
- Arbitration hearings begin for eligible players who do not come to agree to terms before their hearing and run through February 20th
Feburary 14th, 2018:
- Pitchers and catchers report to Ft. Myers, FL
Feburary 19th, 2018:
- First full-squad Spring Training workout
February 22nd, 2018:
- First Spring Training game against the Minnesota Golden Gophers
March 29th, 2018:
- Regular season begins against the Orioles in Baltimore
Check out the Twins’ full 2018 regular season schedule here.