Spring Training is here! Can you believe it?! Whatever the answer, you can check out these links:
- Yes, today is the official day for pitchers and catchers to report to Twins spring training camp. It was originally supposed to be yesterday, but it was quietly pushed back a day at some point.
- Official full-workouts for pitchers and catchers aren’t until tomorrow.
Pitchers and catchers will start at 9 am EST tomorrow, But several position players already here.— LaVelle E. Neal III (@LaVelleNeal) February 14, 2017
- The Twins are trying to come into 2017 with optimism and confidence, despite last year’s 103-loss season. "You can't really dwell on youth anymore, and I think that's going to be a huge factor moving forward," Dozier told MLB.com. "You've got to recognize you're playing with the big boys up here and you can't make the same mistakes you made last year that cost you ballgames. And we've got to do a better job, especially as leaders, to instill that in a lot of the guys in Spring Training moving forward."
- Despite his recent “setback” of sorts, Glen Perkins is very confident he’ll pitch this year, and that he’ll be good. “I have no doubt that I’ll pitch at a successful level,” Perkins told The Ringer MLB Show. “My range of motion, flexibility, strength is good or better than they were before surgery. And so those are all positives it’s just that building the arm strength has taken more time than I’ve wanted it to.”
- So in that vein, Perkins said he actually plans to do the throwing session he planned for last Friday today.
- How sick and tired do you think Jason Castro is of being asked about pitch framing? Well, whatever! Here’s another story about how he learned to develop the skill.
- Recently-signed reliever Craig Breslow only signed to a minor league contract, but it unsurprisingly has some hitches (per Mike Berardino): 1.) If he makes the major league roster, he’ll be paid $1.25 million. 3.) There are also $1 million in performances bonuses available. 2.) Breslow can opt out of the contract around ten days before Opening Day.
- Oh yeah—it’s Valentine’s Day too! The Twins released this video, which is... interesting.