Trevor Hildenberger is the newest Twins player and has donned the number 39 jersey in for this season. He's the third player in 2017 alone to wear number 39 on his back, the other two being Adam Wilk and Danny Santana.
Wasn't that a neat little fun fact? Do you want more jersey number fun facts? Well hot damn did you click on the right article! Fortunately for us, baseball-reference.com has data on every jersey number worn by every player for every Twins and Senators team going back to 1931. So I delved into the page to find some more fun facts. And here they are:
- The longest tenured jersey number is the number 7. Every single season since 1958 has seen a player wear the number 7. Eighteen different players, from Bobby Malkmus in 1958 to some schlob named Joe Mauer selfishly wearing it for the past 14 years have worn it.
- Also, only two players have worn number 7 going back to 1993 and only three since 1987. Greg Gagne donned the number from 1987-1992 and Denny Hocking wore it from 1993-2003.
- The most seasons wearing the same number goes to Harmon Killebrew. He wore number 3 for 18 seasons from 1957-1974. He also wore number 12 from 1955-1956 and number 25 in 1954.
- Aside from retired numbers and the rare number 00 worn by Bobo Newsom in 1947, the farthest back unused jersey number is the number 10 which hasn't been worn by anyone since Jeff Reed in 1986. [Editor’s Note: That’s because it’s Tom Kelly’s number and it’s retired now, Tommy you dummy!!]
- The most used number in team history is number 21. 69 (lol) different players, starting with Walt Tauscher in 1931 up through Jason Castro this year, have had the number 21 on their backs.
- No one has ever worn numbers 68-70, 73-76, or 78 and above.
- The players who are the only ones to wear a specific number are Junior Ortiz #0 (1990-1991), Bobo Newsom #00 (1943-1947), Trevor May #65 (2014-2016), Joe Roa #71 (2004), Pat Neshek #72 (2006), and Tony Batista #77 (2006).
- The number 63 might be cursed. It's the only number to have multiple people wear it, but never for more than a single season. Armando Gabino (2009), Joe Benson (2011), Andrew Albers (2013), and Johan Pino (2014) all had the cursed number.
- No one wants to wear #13. An average of 41 players have worn numbers 8-12 and 14-18, but only 12 have worn number 13. Jason Kubel was the last in 2014, and Todd Walker wore it before him in 1996.
Here is a table with the most used number in each decade:
Number of players per jersey number per decade
|Jersey #||20||17||34||21, 24||7, 18, 25, 27||21||23||21||21, 44, 64|
|How Many Players||16||17||12||11||7||9||7||7||6|
I’m tired of scrolling up and down this jersey number page endlessly counting numbers and names so this is the end of the jersey number fun facts.
There are no more fun facts.