Welcome to the 2017-2018 MLB offseason, where Jon Morosi can tweet out the following and it feels like a major development:
Source: Yu Darvish is increasingly likely to sign with an @MLB team this week. #Twins are among the teams with whom he is engaged in ongoing discussions. @MLBNetwork— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) January 24, 2018
There’s no other details or reports. This one tweet is all we have — and I’m talking about the offseason in general here.
So here’s what the tweet tells us:
- Darvish is “increasingly likely” to sign “this week”.
- The Twins are the only team Morosi specifically names, but he also says “among the teams” (plural), so the Twins aren’t the only ones.
- The Twins and Darvish are still talking to each other.
- All of this information is coming from an anonymous source.
- Morosi tagged @MLBNetwork and @MLB in the tweet.
Here’s what the tweet doesn’t tell us:
- How likely Darvish actually is to sign this week.
- How likely Darvish actually is to not sign this week.
- If “this week” means means by Friday, by Saturday, by Sunday, or just sometime in the next seven days.
- Why the Twins are the only team specifically named.
- How many teams are still engaged in discussions with Darvish.
- Which teams are still engaged in discussions with Darvish.
- What exactly the teams and Darvish are even discussing.
- Who is even most likely to sign Darvish.
- If Morosi tagged @MLBNetwork and @MLB because he wanted them to retweet the tweet, or if it was for some other reason.
- Why there is a hashtag before Twins.
- Who the source is.
- Why the hell it’s January 24th and none of the top free agent starting pitchers have signed a deal yet.
- If signing Yu Darvish is even a good idea for the Twins.
- What the hell I am doing with my life.
So basically, we still don’t really know anything. Enjoy the rest of your day!