- ESPN’s Sam Miller undertook a “tall” order this week — tackling the subject of why MLB managers are so short, relative MLB players. One outlier is Rocco Baldelli, who at 6’4” is tied for the tallest manager in the MLB. For the record, Joe Mauer is listed at 6’5”.
- If you want to know a bit more about our dearly-retired Joe Mauer, John Shipley complied seven (twice over) factoids about Mauer. There were a few I either didn’t know or had forgotten. My favorite is that he is the only person to ever be the USA Today national high school athlete of the year in two sports.
- Hall-of-Fame predictor Jay Jaffe (the JAWS guy) looked at Joe Mauer’s HOF case, and came to the conclusion Mauer is worthy of enshrinement. What do you think?
- If you’ve attended Twins games via Gate 34 in the past, be prepared for a slightly different experience in the future. The Twins are remodeling the plaza outside Target Field’s main entrance in order to enhance the experience and beef up security.
- It’s a forgone conclusion that the Twins will be adding a couple infielders this offseason. Derek Wetmore posits that the positions the newcomers play could be flux. Do you think its a decent idea for the Twins to consider a position change for Miguel Sano and/or Jorge Polanco?
- Hardball Times is on a roll with the profiles of former Twins of note lately. “Disco” Dan Ford was an outfielder and a character on the Twins in the ‘70s, and is notable for getting under Gene Mauch’s skin. He is the other player, along with Rod Carew, who requested a trade due to Calvin Griffith’s racist comments.
Thursday Twins: Rocco Baldelli is so tall
Another visit to the Joe Mauer zone, a look into the future, and going way back with Disco Dan.