It turns outs Twins’ pitchers and catchers officially reported to Spring Training today. I originally thought the report date was February 14th, but I guess that’s actually the date of the first official workout. It doesn’t make much of a difference either way, because so many players report early anyway. Even Joe Mauer is already in Ft. Myers.
Joe Mauer has arrived at Twins camp a week early. What kind of season does he expect? This t-shirt from last year, in English, Spanish, Korean and German, sums it up. pic.twitter.com/RuEQSbgP9w— Phil Miller (@MillerStrib) February 13, 2018
Spring is time for preparing for entire 8-month camp and season. I watched Joe Mauer unpack 25 new pairs of "7M" branded Nike shoes, to go with the half-dozen pairs in his locker. pic.twitter.com/IWu7RYQP6c— Phil Miller (@MillerStrib) February 13, 2018
Here are some other links:
- Despite losing out on Yu Darvish, and pitchers already reporting, the Twins insist they are going to try and add starting pitching depth. Jon Heyman believes the Twins are more likely to add Alex Cobb or Lance Lynn than Jake Arrieta, and I agree. But all getting really old by this point. Like, really, really old.
- Speaking of old, Jim Kaat is spouting old school baseball logic on Twitter almost daily, if you haven’t noticed. The 79-year-old only joined the social platform a little over a year ago, and he’s... surprisingly good at it? Mike Berardino asked Kaat about that and his new role as a special assistant to the Twins.
- Old friend Trevor Plouffe signed a minor league deal with the Rangers! He’ll get to join Bartolo Colon, who’s also there on a minor league deal.
- Oh, and Craig Breslow is still going (somehow). He manged to sign a minor league deal with the Blue Jays.
- The minor league dorm complex the Twins built in Ft. Myers just a few years ago seems like it’s paying off.