Late last December, a young female photographer told a story on Twitter alleging that she had been assaulted by Twins third baseman Miguel Sano at a signing event back in 2015. In response, MLB launched a full investigation into the incident to determine whether a disciplinary action should be taken under their two-year-old policy covering domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse.
The investigation concluded several weeks ago, and the comissioner’s office announced today that Sano would not be suspended.
Sources: #MNTwins’ Miguel Sano, investigated by MLB after being accused of sexual assault, will NOT be suspended by the league.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) March 23, 2018
MLB’s investigation included over 20 interviews, including Sano and the photographer, along with review of some other communications documents. In a release announcing the decision, the commissioner’s office said there was “insufficient evidence to support a disciplinary determination.”
Many thought Sano might be suspended over the incident, as other MLB players have been suspended over domestic assault allegations that did not lead to criminal charges. In fact, Red Sox pitcher Steven Wright received a 15-game suspension today after being arrested for domestic assault last December. In 2017, Mets pitcher Jeurys Familia was also suspended for 15-games for a similar domestic assault arrest.
There has been no legal action taken over the incident involving Sano. The photographer wrote in her original statement, “No, he didn’t rape me, but he sure did assault me.”
The Twins issued the following statement:
The Minnesota Twins fully support the join MLB-MLBPA policy which governs serious matters of this nature. The Twins are pleased that the Commissioner’s Office has concluded its investigation with respect to Miguel Sano. Miguel can now return his sole focus to the season ahead. Per team protocol, the Twins will not comment further on this matter.