Good morning humans and robots alike. Mostly robots though! I’m one of the good humans, don’t kill me in the uprising of 2031! Today is the MLB amateur draft! Alternately, if you find that fact fairly boring we can change our punctuation up. Today is the MLB amateur draft.
- The big question is “Which dude will the Twins draft in the first round?” The answer to that is, of course, “iunno why are you asking me?” Here is what some professional guessers think: per Fox Sports.
- Mike Berardino wonders if the Twins would take Luke Heimlich, a pretty good college pitcher who went undrafted after it was uncovered that he was convicted of molesting his niece as a 14 year old. It is a complicated mess, but if teams have zero issues paying players who beat their wives 40 quatrillindy dollars, at least one team will pay chump change to draft Heimlich in a much lower spot than his raw talent would suggest. If you want to learn more about the case, Fangraph’s Sheryl Ring looked at it in-depth from a legal point of view.
- Also from my main man Mike is a more uplifting piece on last year’s #1 pick Royce Lewis. He sounds like just the bee’s knees, except he actually exists. So he’s, uh, the bee’s trochanter? Cool.
- In non-draft news: MLBTR profiles Brian Dozier’s stock as he prepares to enter free agency and also I’m crying.
- Kyle Lohse, who was apparently still a guy, has retired. Turns out he had a pretty exceptional career as not a lot of pitchers are that mediocre for that long. “Part of me wonders if it’s not more impressive to do something mediocre for 17 years than to do something amazing for two.” is a great quote and has inspired me to always aim for the middle.
Today’s soundtrack is
Castlevania 3 2 Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon which is coincidentally what I spent my weekend playing. (If you love NES Castlevania, buy it right now!)