Welcome to Thursday, and Thursday’s links:
- According to Fangraphs, the first basemen in the American League aren’t hitting very well this season. The Twins are responsible for not one, but two of the culprits on the list. One player who is actually surprising is an old friend, and you’ll be very surprised who he is. I had no idea he had even been playing first base this year, to be honest.
- Everyone knows the Twins have been pretty bad at developing pitchers lately, but they keep taking hitters in the top of the draft, and here is why. It actually makes a lot of sense, and it’s good to see the team have a plan. There are also some good quotes in there about 2018 first round pick Trevor Lanarch.
- Jake Depue talked with Twins prospect Nick Gordon about adapting to Triple-A, hitting for power, and stealing bases. Gordon could be up soon, especially if the Twins trade one of their middle infielders before the July 31st trade dead.
- We all knew something was wrong with Addison Reed, but now its official. The Twins put Reed on the DL after Tuesday’s game with a triceps issue. The good news is that Ervin Santana’s rehab start at Chattanooga went well, and he will be starting in Rochester on Sunday. Ehire Adrianza should be activated tomorrow as well.
- If you are running for public office, getting banned from public places would seem to be a bad idea. A candidate for St. Paul city council didn’t get that memo, and got banned from Target Field after a confrontation with security.