- Tyler Austin’s dad is apparently pretty mad at the Yankees for trading Tyler. He has made it pretty clear on twitter, and while that is nowhere near the most embarrassing thing someone will tweet this week, Austin says it never should have happened. Personally, I think Austin landed in a great spot in Minnesota — if Joe Mauer leaves at the end of the season, he will be the frontrunner for the starting first baseman in on Opening Day.
- Did you know Tyler Austin and Alan Busenitz go way, way back? They’ve played on the same team before... when they were ten years old. They took a victory from their former teammate Buck Farmer, with Detroit over the weekend, in a cool moment for the childhood teammates.
- The other recent Twins’ trade acquisition, Logan Forsythe, isn’t into advanced stats. Despite his astronomical BABIP as Twin, he bases his evaluation of himself on how he feels at the plate. As a bonus, this link also has an update on our other Logan. Morrison went under the knife for his hip injury, and it appears to have gone well.
- September call-ups are around the corner, and Derek Wetmore looked at some of the arms that will be vying for innings with the Twins. There are a lot of young pitchers who could get a cup of coffee, plus some veterans the Twins need to evaluate.
- Derek Falvey learned about trading veterans for prospects when he was with Cleveland, and he pursued that strategy heavily this season in Minnesota. Still, that was the process that brought Corey Kluber to Cleveland, so why not take a flier. Phil Miller got some good quotes from the Twins’ boss on his deadline strategy.
Thursday Twins: Tyler Austin’s dad is embarrassing
Teenagers everywhere feel his pain. Plus, Austin and Alan Busenitz are old friends, Logan Forsythe is old school, and more.