Hola! Here are the links:
- Royce Lewis, the Twins’ first overall draft pick in 2017, faced off last night against pitcher Casey Mize, the Tigers’ first overall draft pick in 2018. last night in the Florida State League. Royce Lewis totally won the contest, and now Twins Daily is wondering just how soon we could see Lewis in the majors.
- Hope you’re sitting down for this one: Both Logan Morrison and Joe Mauer have cleared waivers, according to Mike Berardino. Shocker. It’s basically a procedural point to put every player on revocable waivers in August, and it’s no surprise neither of these players were claimed; teams know Mauer isn’t going anywhere (and he’s still owed $6.92 million), and LoMo is hitting .193/.285/.382. The Twins are now free to try and work out a trade for either player with any team.
- Lance Lynn made his first start for the Yankees last night, and it went about as you’d expect — he threw 7.1 scoreless innings against the White Sox, allowing just two hits and one walk. Wait, what?
- Speaking of players who got away, Dereck Rodriguez, son of Pudge, has pitched 73.0 innings for the San Francisco Giants this year with a 2.34 ERA, 10.55 WHIP, and 61 strikeouts. Rodriguez spent last season pitching for the Twins’ High-A and Double-A teams, but elected free agency in the off season (and yes, the Twins did try to sign him, according to Seth Stohs).
- A lot of Twins fans were hopping mad over the team becoming sellers at the deadline, so CBO Derek Falvey sent a letter to season ticket holders explaining the front office’s decisions.