As usual, this is your semi-weekly link dump and open thread. The World Series is going on, and the Managerial job carousel is in full swing, so if there are any links or topics we missed, go for it!
In case you missed it here on Twinkie Town
- We started a series giving players grades for their 2019 performances. Here are C.J. Cron and Miguel Sano starting us off.
- Matt looked into the idea of maybe trading Eddie Rosario at some point. It’s an idea that’s gotten a lot of traction in some quarters.
- We have a sticky post for World Series discussion, if you are watching the games, or just miss the banter of game threads.
Other news and opinion around Twins Territory
- Twins hitting coach James Rowson secured a new position, as the bench coach and offensive coordinator for the Miami Marlins. I doubt many of us are surprised he was considered for a promotion this offseason, although I would have guessed he’d get a couple managerial interviews.
The Miami Marlins are hiring James Rowson to be their bench coach and offensive coordinator, a source tells ESPN. Rowson was the hitting coach for the Minnesota Twins, who set a major league record for home runs this season.— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) October 24, 2019
- Jose Berrios was nominated for a Gold Glove. Good for him, even if the Gold Gloves have been a joke around here ever since Joe Mauer was snubbed in favor of Eric Hosmer.
- SI’s Ben Reiter rolled out his annual top 50 free agent rankings. Several current and former Twins are on the list, but more importantly, several guys they should be targeting are on it as well.
Other news and opinion about other baseball teams:
- Almost half of the vacant MLB managerial positions have been filled, as the Padres, Cubs, and Phillies all recently announced their hires. Track all the moves here.
- These days, athletes appearing on TV or in movies is fairly commonplace. It wasn’t always though, in fact, being a pro athlete and an actor were nearly mutually exclusive at one time. Hardball Times decided to find out which ballplayer became the biggest horror actor, since its nearly Halloween.
- Our sister site, Crawfish Boxes, has a good take on the Brandon Taubman controversy, which seems to have come to an end, but has been dominating the MLB discussions the last few days.
- The MLB is looking into some controversial tweeting by umpire Rob Drake, in which he reportedly stated he was purchasing a fire arm, and that impeachment of the president could lead to civil war. While I’m all for people having rights to their opinions, it’s not a great look for someone who is supposed to exercise good judgment professionally to send out a tweet of that nature.
- Social media is bad for everyone.
- The story of Maury Povich’s love of Washington Baseball, which is a great read, as he once served as a bat boy for the Senators, and was a sports reporter covering the final Senators game in DC.
Are you team Gas Grill or team Charcoal? Why?