The Minnesota Twins last won a playoff game on October 5, 2004. The world has changed since then. Here are fourteen things that have occured in the interim.
- George W Bush was re-elected President of the United States. Since then, he completed his four year term, Barack Obama served for eight years, and Donald Trump has been president for about three years.
- The first iPhone was almost three years away from being released (June 29, 2007.)
- Shark Tale was the number one movie in theaters when the Twins last one a playoff game. It could have looped over 83,000 times between then and now
- The Twins last won a playoff game almost a year before Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans and much of the US Gulf Coast. Katrina hit in late August of 2005.
- If you happened to be a college student when the Twins last won a playoff game, you could have accessed a brand new website, “TheFaceBook,” which had launched in February at Harvard and rolled out at other schools throughout the year. It would be two more years before non-students were able to access the new social media site.
- North Korea had not yet tested nuclear weapons the last time the Twins won a playoff game, and wouldn’t do so for two more years.
- The last time the Twins won a playoff game, Pluto was still a planet. It wasn’t demoted to “dwarf planet” until August of 2006.
- There were five Star Wars movies, three Harry Potter movies, two Fast and the Furious movies and one Pirates of the Caribbean movie the last time the Twins won a playoff game.
- Pope John Paul II would still be Pope for six months after the Twins last won a playoff game. He passed away in April of 2005.
- Twitter wouldn’t launch until July of 2006, almost two years after the last Twins playoff win.
- Brittany Spears wouldn’t shave her head until two and a half years after the Twins last won in the playoffs. The pop star had her famous meltdown in February of 2007.
- The last time the Twins won a playoff game, the highlights probably would have been difficult to find online—Youtube wouldn’t be created for another six months.
- Among other popular video games, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Rollercoaster Tycoon 3, Halo 2, and World of Warcraft were all released after the Twins last won a playoff game.
- On TV; House M.D., Battlestar Galactica, Project Runway, The Office, Greys Anatomy, and How I Met Your Mother all debuted after the last Twins playoff win. Meanwhile, Everybody Loves Raymond, NYPD Blue, JAG, and Arrested Development were all still airing new episodes.
As an added bonus, here is the boxscore for the last time the Twins, defeated the Yankees (or anyone) in the playoffs—game one of the 2004 ALDS