The MLB Winter Meetings are traditionally a time where the hot stove boils over. While the last couple years have been slow, this season has seen players signing record deals already, and rumors flying around like crazy. Here is a round up of Twins related news and rumors that have already come out during the first (just over a) day of the meetings.
- The Twins are in on three starters:
#MNTwins are pursuing 3 starters: Ryu, Keuchel and Bumgarner— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) December 10, 2019
- They are also at least talking to one of the best available relievers:
#MNTwins have expressed interest too. But his market seems to be trending in a different direction right now. https://t.co/VzXNJv1Fgo— Darren Wolfson (@DWolfsonKSTP) December 10, 2019
- Speaking of relievers, the Twins are also connected to one of their mid-season acquisitions (the good one):
Sergio Romo is drawing significant interest: a’s, twins, marlins, phillies, Red Sox, perhaps even giants, where Romo won rings and closed out 2012 Workd Series. Deal likely will come at meetings.— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) December 9, 2019
- Some of us wanted the Twins to re-sign Kyle Gibson, before the Rangers signed him. Apparently the Rangers also signed another pitcher the Twins were interested in:
Brewers, White Sox, Bour Jays and Twins were also in on Jordan Lyles before he went to Rangers for $16M over 2 years. @Ken_Rosenthal and @JeffPassan 1st on signing— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) December 7, 2019
- The Cardinals are reportedly looking for a left-handed outfielder. The Cardinals also have starting pitching in spades. Perhaps there should be some talks:
#STLCards would like a lefty OF bat, preferably via trade ... https://t.co/ir9XJBnIRm pic.twitter.com/ro9bagx9T7— MLB Trade Rumors (@mlbtraderumors) December 10, 2019
For now, that’s all the news we have, but things are likely to break quickly. Gerrit Cole is expected to sign soon, and that should open the floodgates on the next tier of pitchers, where the Twins are clearly interested. If anything major happens, we’ll have the coverage for you. In the meantime, discuss and speculate in the comments!