- Pat Borzi provided one of the best looks into the technology the Twins have embraced to analyze and (hopefully) improve their pitching that I have seen. The guys that Borzi quotes are some of the guys in most need of fixing, as Jake Reed, Jake Odorizzi, Martin Perez, Tyler Duffey, and Trevor Hildenberger all strive to take another step forward in their career — whether that’s a call up, a steady role, or just being their best self. Most importantly, he describes Kyle Gibson’s recent bullpen session as seeming “almost naked,” which just brought to mind shades of Mike Redmond.
- One of the biggest factors into that technological change is new pitching coach Wes Johnson. Derek Wetmore had some great insight into Johnson last week, and how he is analysing and implementing plans to bring out the most in each Twins pitcher. Despite the unconventional hiring, the more I hear about it, the more I like. Also in the article, Kyle Gibson has now acquired the moniker “Big Beef Mountain.”
- Brandon Warne decided to ask the question we all want to know the answer to: What’s Spring Training like without Joe Mauer? He got answers from a variety of Twins players and coaches. He also asked about the other major departures, Brian Dozier and Eduardo Escobar. And yes, to continue the theme, there is a Gibson quote here too.
- Turnaround team? That has a great ring to it, doesn’t it? Tom Verducci over at SI predicted four of them, and the Twins were number two on the list. Let’s hope he is correct, because his biggest factor is the one we are all banking on—continued development from Miguel Sano and Byron Buxton.
- In order to fund Target Field a decade ago, Hennepin County implemented a .15% sales tax. Since that time, the Twins have continued to invest in the stadium, taking their total investment in the facility to about 40% of dollars spent. Meanwhile, that tax from the Target Field Initiative has gone on to fund $23 million in youth sports, as well as $23 million more into the library system. Not a bad use of the tax money.
Friday Twins Links: “Big Beef Mountain” threw an “almost naked” bullpen session for the Twins
And what life without Joe Mauer is like