The Minnesota Twins announced this morning that C/1B/2B/3B/SS/OF Willians Astudillo has been placed on the 10-day IL with a left oblique strain. Overall in 2019, Astudillo is hitting .263/.282/.383 (.665) with 3 HR. Since his latest call up he is hitting .333/.333/.524 (.857) with 1 HR.
To take Astudillo’s spot, the Twins have recalled OF LaMonte Wade Jr, the teams 22nd overall prospect from AAA. Wade was drafted by the Twins in the fifth round of the 2015 draft and will be seeing his first major league action this season. In AAA, Wade is hitting .248/.393/.366 (.759) with 5 HR. He does not hit for much power but the OBP should translate. He is another left handed bat that plays slightly above average defense and likely will only be here until Buxton or Rosario are healthy.
Other injury notes:
- Max Kepler is starting today against the Rays
- Byron Buxton appears close to a return and has been eligible since Tuesday
- Eddie Rosario was diagnosed with an ankle sprain and is day-to-day
- Marwin Gonzalez has taken infield ground balls and ran but is not at full strength
- Ehire Adrianza is dealing with abdominal issues and said he feels like it is getting better.