Previously on Twinkie Town:
- TheHans believes MLB should expand the strike zone, not the play-offs. I’m just here for the “eff selig” tag in the permalink, tbh.
- Brandon continues to do his thing and roundup all the AL central news, this time focusing on the plethora of non-tenders that are all the rage these days.
- Matt’s quest to find the worst Twins (or Senators.) team of all time continues. You know it is gonna get bleak when the entire round is named after Logan Morrison. (Does anyone know anyone who owns a Twins Morrison Jersey?)
- Speaking of bad. We all discussed (gabbed, if you will.) our favorite bad Twins.
Elsewhere in Twins Territory:
- Oh my god look out, emerging from the sea like a damned kaiju is a bunch of tweets about rumors that will 9/10 times end up being ultimately meaningless!!!!!!!!!!
The #MNTwins have interest in free agent reliever Joakim Soria. He can throw a slider! This regime has had interest in him in the past. He’s one of many right-handed relievers available. Twins will cast a wide net. pic.twitter.com/IwRja7FoCy— Darren Wolfson (@DWolfsonKSTP) December 4, 2020
- Along with interest in Kiké Hernández to replace the departing Marwin/Ehire duo, and the announcement of the seemingly obligatory yearly interest in Soria, Rumor Master Darren Wolfson’s SKOR North podcast also has such tidbits as Minnesota showing interest in Corey Kluber, having had interest in Mike Minor but not nearly enough to beat the hefty deal the Royals offered him (Damn rich Royals, I thought we ENDED monarchy?!) which is probably for the best. They also seem to be pursuing Jake Odorizzi who would prefer to remain a Twin, however other suitors are apparently going after Ol’ Odo much harder than the Twins are.
- It may sound primitive and unscientific, but through the fairies, we could ask Mothra to help us sign free agents.
- Meanwhile Thad Levine dropped out of the running for the Phillies’ GM job, preferring Minnesota (d’awwww <3) to Philadelphia.
Thad Levine, who looked like a strong candidate for the Phillies top baseball job, is no longer in the mix. Word is he loves his situation in Minnesota and apparently preferred to stay working on the successful Twins turnaround. Byrnes, Hill, maybe others still believed in.— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) December 5, 2020
- The Twins have also signed utiltyman Tzu-Wei Lin to a minor league contract. The light hitting Lin mostly sees play in the middle infield but has played all over the field, including at catcher which is pretty fun and reminds me of Eduardo Escobar’s time as emergency catcher.
- Minnesota’s behavior in and around arbitration this year has brought buckets of praise from player agents, as seen in this Ken Rosenthall piece over at the Athletic.
- Twins Daily looks back at the Brian Dozier trade, which is actually linked to the Kenta Maeda trade, so I think that’s an Auto-win for the Twins there.
Around the World in Bases and Balls:
- MLB’s 2021 season is already in a bit of a limbo as no one knows what exactly it is going to look like or when it is going to start, and the owners and the union, much to everyone’s surprise, continue to disagree on everything.
- If you want to feel even sadder about Trevor May being a Met now, here’s a statcast filled look at why he’s so good.
Today’s soundtrack is iunno, link your own. I’m sick and also tired and this goes up in 11 minutes sorry if it is bad.