MIN: Mitch Garver C, Ehire Adrianza SS, Luis Arraez 2B, Miguel Sano 1B, Nelson Cruz DH, Josh Donaldson 3B, Max Kepler RF, Byron Buxton CF, Eddie Rosario LF, Jose Berrios P
TBR: Randy Arozarena LF, Kevin Kiermaier CF, Austin Meadows RF, Brandon Lowe 2B, Yandy Diaz 3B, Ji-man Choi 1B, Nate Lowe DH, Willy Adames SS, Kevan Smith C, Blake Snell P
I don’t even know what to say. The Twins skid extends to five games, and they’ve only hung onto even a share of first place through dumb luck. I was hoping Jose Berrios could be the stopper again, but no such luck. He actually had a very rough night, and so did the bullpen. And the fielders. And most of the hitters. Basically everyone but Nelson Cruz had a lousy game. Circus baseball lives.
Meanwhile, Kevin Kiermaier and Kevan Smith combined to basically destroy the Twins.
- Kevin Kiermaier hit a solo homer in the first. Twins down 1-0
- In the second, Willy Adames singles, Kevan Smith reaches on an error that sends Adames to third. Randy Arozarena hits a sac fly scoring one run, and Kevin Kiermaier singles to bring in Smith. Twins down 3-0
- Kevan Smith leads off the fourth with a double. Kevin Kiermaier hits another danged home run, for two runs. Jose Berrios exits the game. Sergio Romo starts stupiding it up against Austin Meadows by walking him. He then let him steal second, and come home on a single by Yandy Diaz. Twins down 6-0.
- Twins finally scored in the bottom of the fifth, thanks to a solo homer by Mitch Garver.
- Zack Littell actually gets Kiermaier out in the sixth, but then it got worse. Austin Meadows doubled. Yandy Diaz walked, and Ji-man Choi it a double that brought them both in. Twins down 8-1.
- Tyler Duffey walks Yandy Diaz in the eighth. He gives up a single to Choi, then he let Nate Lowe join the fun, and hit a three-run homer. Twins down 11-1
- The Twins score their two pointless final runs in the bottom of the eighth. Nelson Cruz singled and Josh Donaldson walked. Max Kepler hit a double that scored Cruz, and Donaldson later scored on a 6-3 ground out by Eddie Rosario.
- Garver did catch Kiermaier attempting to steal in the third.
- Blake Snell wasn’t exactly good today, he gave up five hits and five walks in 5.1 innings, he just kept the Twins from scoring.
- We really need to win some games, the Sox tied the division.
- The Twins used six pitchers. Only Tyler Clippard and Trevor May could be described as “effective.”
- Josh Donaldson today: two strikeouts, three walks
Nelson Cruz: 3-4, BB
Luis Arraez: 2-4, BB, double
Miguel Sano 0-4, 2K
Byron Buxton: 0-3, 2K
Jose Berrios: 3.1 IP, 8 hits, 5 runs (3 earned)
Tomorrow: Tampa again. Can we please get a damn win? First pitch 7:10 pm (look for a recap around 11 pm)