First Pitch: 7:10p Central
Television: FOX Sports North
Radio (inglés): W-C-C-O 830 AM; K-M-N-B 102.9 FM “The Wolf”; Treasure Island Baseball Network
Radio (Spanish): twinsbeisbol.com
Know The Foe: Viva El Birdos
How many of you were supposed to be at the Minnesota Twins home opener this season? raises hand Such is life. We have baseball for now, so I’ll take it. Instead, we’ll see the home opener from our television or computer screen, or listen to the festivities on the radio. So what festivities will be happening at Target Field tonight?
If you want full details of ceremonies and other activities, you can check it out on the Twins website here. But a rundown includes:
- Ceremonial first pitch being thrown by nine frontline healthcare workers after a video tribute to honor those that have been helping the world battle COVID.
- The Twins will play both the Star-Spangled Banner and the Black national anthem, Lift Every Voice and Sing.
- A in memoriam video and moment of silence for those in MLB and the Minnesota military during the offseason, including Twins minor-leaguer Ryan Costello as well as George Floyd.
- The Twins are celebrating 60 years of baseball in Minnesota this season, so to commemorate that this home opener, a game of catch between six decades of Twins players will happen via video.
- Lieutenant Alvin Donahoo will be virtually raising the American flag. The 101-year-old veteran joined the U.S. Navy after the attack of Pearl Harbor. He was a part of the Normandy Invasion and lost 400 fellow soldiers from his unit that day and stayed on the beach to keep supplies running to troops marching to Germany.
- The game will stop at 8:46p for a moment of silence to remember the death of George Floyd.
(If you want to discuss any of the sensitive subjects in the game thread, please be civil or be banned. Trolls are hereby warned.)
There’s no word yet on an important aspect of the game: Will the Twins wear their shiny new powder blue alternate uniforms? If they don’t, I will probably quit because they kinda have to. How crazy would it be if both the Twins and the St Louis Cardinals wore their powder blue alternates? Pretty crazy, right? No chance though, as the Cards wear theirs for Saturday away games. (Fun note, I do have the Saturday home game alternate for the Cardinals... I couldn’t resist.)
Okay, I’ll shut up and get to the game specifics now. Don’t blame me as this is my first thread in forever. The Twins start an eight-game home stand against the Cardinals. They’re in a very good National League Central division in which the American League Central will surely spoil some team’s fun. I won’t talk too much about the Cards because John did a great series preview and TJ talked to Viva El Birdos about this series (links below).
Homer Bailey will start for the home team tonight. Let’s hope he doesn’t have an outing like he did during the exhibition game against the Chicago Cubs on Wednesday. He has been trending towards the positive, posting a 4.57 ERA (4.11 FIP) last season between the Kansas City Royals and Oakland Athletics. Just... don’t live up to your name, Homer. Or change it to “Strikeout” Bailey.
Mike Shildt gives Carlos Martínez the nod for the Cardinals. The righty was moved from a starting role to the bullpen in the middle of the 2018 season. He became the team’s closer last season, racking up 24 saves in 27 opportunities and posting a 2.86 FIP and a 9.9 K/9. For 2020, he’s made his way back to the starting rotation. Look for him to use his slider that will clock in the low 80s and his changeup that will sit in the mid-80s. He’ll also utilize a four-seam fastball and sinker that sits in the low 90s as well as a curveball.
Byron Buxton is back in the lineup.
|LOUIS OF SAINT||SOTA OF MINNE|
|Kolten Wong - 2B||Max Kepler - RF|
|Tommy Edman - 3B||Josh Donaldson - 3B|
|Paul Goldschmidt - 1B||Jorge Polanco - SS|
|Paul DeJong - SS||Nelson Cruz - DH|
|Matt Carpenter - DH||Eddie Rosario - LF|
|Yadier Molina - C||Mitch Garver - C|
|Dexter Fowler - RF||Luis Arraez - 2B|
|Tyler O'Neill - LF||Miguel Sano - 1B|
|Harrison Bader - CF||Byron Buxton - CF|
|Carlos Martinez - RHP||Homer Bailey - RHP|
GO TWINS GO