Some Saturday afternoon notes and tidbits about Minnesota Twins roster news and injury updates...
- Minnesota announced that they have placed righty Zack Littell on the ten-day Injured List. A strained left hamstring is the culprit. Littell has pitched three innings out of the bullpen, allowing six hits, four earned runs, three homers, three walks, and notching one strikeout. Fun small sample size numbers: 18.43 FIP, 18.0 H/9, 9.0 HR/9, 9.0 BB/9, 0.33 K/BB.
- Jorge Alcala will be called up from the taxi squad to fill the open spot in the bullpen. The flame-throwing right-hander enjoyed a cup of coffee during September call-ups last season. He pitched 1.2 innings in relief, allowing only a hit and a walk while earning a strikeout.
- Third baseman Josh Donaldson left the game last night due to tightness in his right calf. He is considered day-to-day and Rocco Baldelli said after the game that the team does not consider it “a major issue”. As Judd Zulgad of SKOR North points out, Donaldson does have a history of calf issues.
- Starting pitcher Jake Odorizzi was rumored to come back and start a game during this series against Cleveland, but that is not to be. In fact, Odo will not be slated to throw again until Monday after throwing a bullpen session on Thursday. Randy Dobnak has been filling in nicely in Odorizzi’s place. (Watch out, Homer Bailey?)
- There are no major updates about utility-man Willians Astudillo. La Tortuga tested positive for COVID-19 during initial intake when teams started reporting for the second round of Spring Training. He was cleared to join baseball activities with the secondary squad at CHS Field in St Paul last week.