The Minnesota Twins have been bitten by the injury bug lately, especially in the past week. With a lot going on, here’s a round-up of who’s on the Injured List right now and where they’re at in their recovery:
- Jake Odorizzi was placed on the 10-day I.L. yesterday with a chest contusion. He took a liner to the abdomen area during his start on Friday night against the Kansas City Royals and promptly left the game.
- Zack Littell also left Friday night’s game against Kansas City. He also landed on the 10-day I.L., but with elbow inflammation.
- After scoring the winning run in Tuesday’s marathon 12-inning game, Byron Buxton reported issues with his surgically-repaired shoulder. The team then placed the center fielder on the 10-day Injured List with no timetable for a return.
- Mitch Garver hit the Injured List after leaving the game on Wednesday night. He’s been diagnosed with a right intercostal strain. There’s also no timetable for his return.
- Cody Stashak has been on the I.L. since August 13 (retroactive to August 12) with lower back inflammation. He has mainly rested since his injury and will require more than the minimum 10 days of being on the Injured List.
- Homer Bailey was moved to the 45-day I.L. amid the flurry of roster moves to open up a spot on the 40-man roster. He recently threw a bullpen session according to LaVelle E Neal III of the Minneapolis Star Tribune. The righty originally hit the Injured List with biceps tendinitis on August 2, retroactive to July 29. He’s eligible to come off the list on September 13.
- Josh Donaldson has resumed some light baseball activity - fielding grounders and light running - according to LEN3’s article. He’s been sidelined since August 4 with right calf soreness and still has no timetable for a return.
Pitchers Sean Poppen and Danny Coulombe were added to the active roster from the taxi squad yesterday. Teams are allowed to carry five additional players to travel with the team as part of the taxi squad, but the Twins elected to carry only four players. According to Betsy Helfand of the St Paul Pioneer Press, the team has utility-man Willians Astudillo and pitcher Juan Minaya along for the trip. However, they may look into bringing more players aboard since three spots are now open.