Many Minnesota Twins fans believe that their favorite club will stand pat at today’s trade deadline, which is at 3p Central today. Why would that be? Minnesota would ideally have some key players returning from the Injured List around the same time. Here’s an update on the players currently on the I.L.:
- One of those key players is third baseman Josh Donaldson. He’s been sidelined with a calf injury backdated to August 4. General Manger Thad Levine said on Sunday morning’s Insider Twins show that Donaldson may make a return in time for the upcoming series against the now-first-place Chicago White Sox. The Bringer of Rain has been rehabbing and playing in intrasquad games in St Paul.
- Levine also hinted that another key player that could return in short order is center fielder Byron Buxton. He suffered his injury - left shoulder inflammation - after sliding into home plate as the winning run during the extra-inning affair with the Milwaukee Brewers. He’s been on the Injured List since August 20 and is eligible to return today.
- Catcher Mitch Garver is not yet ready to return after landing on the I.L. with a right intercostal strain that he sustained during an at-bat on August 19. Levine says that Garver continues to have some soreness in that area, according to Aaron Gleeman of The Athletic.
- Starter Jake Odorizzi took a line drive to the abdomen and recently showed reporters a picture of his bruise, saying that it looked like he got kicked in the chest by a horse. Nonetheless, he has resumed throwing and is expected to throw a bullpen session in the coming days according to Betsy Helfand of the St Paul Pioneer Press. He’ll then head on over to St Paul to pitch in some intrasquad action before the team makes a decision.
- The radio booth noted that both Zack Littell (elbow inflammation) and Cody Stashak (lower back inflammation) were throwing at Target Field yesterday. There has been no formal update as to their progress, though.
- Not injury-related, but worth noting that Michael Pineda is set to return from his suspension. He is listed as the probable starter on Tuesday against the Chicago White Sox