For those who may be new, or maybe forgot, this is our semi-regular combo of a linkdump and open thread. Consider the information below a conversation starter, but discuss whatever you want in the comments. Good soup recipes are always appreciated.
In case you missed it here at Twinkie Town
- Help MnDOT name a snowplow, there are several good Twinscentric names to choose from.
- Brandon indefatigably keeps us up-to-date with news and notes from around the AL Central
- Brian Dozier retired, and Matt, Bob, and Marea all had things to say about it.
- Louie’s triumphant return continues with another original song about a Twins legend
- Power rankings and projection models both look favorably upon the Twins
- The Twins signed starter Matt Shoemaker last week, and we know the real reason why.
- Jon suggests a under-the-radar signing might have an impact for the Twins this season
Other sites’ stuff about the Twins
- The Twins are asking Governor Walz to consider a proposal allowing 10,000 fans per game into Target Field as early as Opening Day. This is roughly 25% capacity, in line with numbers allowed by many other events.
- Tyler Duffey spends his offseasons in Houston, not in Minnesota. That means that the recent cold weather caused havoc for him. He’s in camp now, and that plus a lot more is in Betsy Helfand’s latest update from Spring Training.
- Matt Shoemaker is healthy and excited for the season, and you gotta love his reasoning for joining the Twins—he believes they’re a winner. That’s an odd experience for Minnesota sports fans.
- And Hansel Robles made a solid first impression as well.
General baseball stuff
- Stop me if you’ve heard this one: (part) owner and executive of MLB franchise gives speech to civic organization, and then makes a total ass of himself. Yeah, sorry Mariners fans, we feel you. Here is the whole transcript of Kevin Mather’s remarks in front of a Seattle-area Rotary Club.
- Mather ended up resigning, which was probably inevitable. Still, our friends at Lookout Landing have had several good takes on the situation.
- Josh Donaldson also had a take:
Thank you Kevin Mather. I sincerely mean it. You just said what everyone already knew, but now we @MLB_PLAYERS have official evidence that is going to help a lot of players. Again, thank you!! Bravo— Josh Donaldson (@BringerOfRain20) February 23, 2021
- Tyler Clippard is signing with the DBacks. Adding him to Eduardo Escobar, they might be making a case to be my second favorite team, sorry Rockies.
Tyler Clippard to Dbacks. Majors deal. @nickpiecoro 1st— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) February 23, 2021
- Albert Pujols may-or-may-not be retiring after this season.
UPDATE: Albert Pujols is undecided about retirement, via his wife’s Instagram which was recently updated https://t.co/1UEAxHN8Yt pic.twitter.com/ncNoV39w34— Baseball Quotes (@BaseballQuotes1) February 23, 2021
- Wow now I feel super old.
It looks like this situation in Seattle is adding more fuel to the already contentious labor negotiations coming up between MLB and the MLBPA. The last time the players had a strike, in 1994 and 1995, the game lost a lot of fans. If you’re old enough to remember, how did it effect you? Either way, how would it impact you if they had another strike in 2022?