Previously on Twinkie Town:
- In the latest instalment of Book Club W/ Old Man Fillmore, we learn about the origin of the game we all love. Or at least kinda like.
- The Super Bowl is now over, and one of the teams probably won I assume. However, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t go back and read about the connections Zach found between those teams and the Twins. It is like six degrees of Kevin Bacon but with baseballs hit into fountains instead of whatever it is Kevin Bacon does. Invents bacon? I don’t know.
- Rival Roundup Vol. 16 is here, and somehow the series has yet to jump the shark. We still haven’t learned the answers to key mysteries, however. What is the new name for the Cleveland Baseball Team? Is Guaranteed Rate Field actually purgatory? Why did they kill off the Royals in Season 3? Polar Bears?????
- Ben looks at the tremendous upside of the 2021 Twins, who are a really easy team to dream on. Get excited!
Elsewhere in Twins Territory:
- MLB dot com looks back at the 10 best moments at the Metrodome. I know a lot of you have plenty of your own, so do share! I can’t actually remember the place even though I was there twice, but I did take some extremely blurry pictures of then-Cleveland Spider Jim Thome.
- Worried about the possibility of Nelson Cruz’s age finally catching up to him? Well Twins Daily has the best 5 seasons for over-40 hitters to keep you confident.
- Old Friend Casey Fien is not Casey Fine with who the Twins have been paying to play for them of late.
The Minnesota Twins and them paying players that have been suspended for steroids.— Casey Fien (@CaseyFien) February 3, 2021
-Michael Pineda 2yr-20M (still has 39 games left on his suspension)
-Nelson Cruz 1yr-13M
-Jorge Polanco 5yr-25.75M
-Alex Colomé 1yr-6.25M
Wow-Whatever it takes I guess
- Nobody liked that take. Even Jim Souhan of all people reacted surprisingly level-headedly to it.
Around the World in Bases and Balls:
- Lookout Landing’s Amanda Lane profiled Lanny Moss, minor league baseball’s first Woman GM and another part of the loveable Portland Mavericks.
- Are the Twins done signing free agents? Who knows! if there still is work to be done, Fangraphs look at the best free agent pitchers is likely to contain the names to keep an eye on!
Today’s Soundtrack is beating up random people in Canada!