Let’s break it down:
- Yes, Alex Kirilloff is now on a Twins regular season roster and not just as a 27th man for a double-header. The 23-year-old outfielder saw a day of regular-season action in a twinbill against the Boston Red Sox less than a couple weeks ago, going 0-for-3 with a strikeout. He was famous for making his major-league debut in the post-season last year, going 1-for-4 against the Houston Astros.
- First-rounder Nick Gordon is on a major-league roster for the first time in his career. Selected fifth overall, the middle infielder batted .298/.342/.459 (.801) with four homers and 40 RBI in 2019 for Class AAA Rochester. The left-handed-batter is fast on the base paths as well, eking out 14 stolen baggies while being caught four times. For our jersey number enthusiasts out there, he will be wearing number 1, last worn by Jordan Schafer.
- Presumably for more all-around depth, utilityman Tzu-Wei Lin was also added to the roster. Signed as a free agent this winter, the Taiwanese saw action in parts of four seasons with the Boston Red Sox, compiling a .223/.298/.316 (.614) slash line with 12 RBI and one homer. During those four seasons, he’s seen time in all the outfield positions as well as second base, third base, and shortstop. Heck, he even pitched an inning and was a catcher for 0.2 innings in 2020. What a wild year. He will be wearing number 37, last worn by Matt Wisler and before that, Juan Centeno!
- The struggling Miguel Sanó is hitting the I.L. with a left hamstring issue. I think we are all aware of his stats, but here it is: .111/.310/.244 (.555) with four RBI. His being added to the Injured List is retroactive to Wednesday.
- Travis Blankenhorn is being optioned down. Is he optioned down for good? We will have to wait and see. The infielder negatively contributed to Wednesday’s loss. I remember he didn’t look good in his lone appearance last season. Maybe it’s time to move on.
- Catcher Tomás Telis has been returned to the alternate training site as well. He did not make any appearances with Minnesota during his time on the active roster. Sorry, Tomás.
See you in the game thread tonight!